Thursday, May 05, 2005

I want a good life

So, here it is. My first blog posting. I'm sure you are asking yourself, what on earth is this one going to be posting about? That's the thing, I'm not sure. Basically, I'm thinking of this as a way to get off my chest the things that are running through my head every night before I fall asleep.

As a young boy I had all these ambitions of being a doctor, or a veterinarian, or even a college professor. And yet, here I sit in a mediocre retirement firm, watching the clock slowly tick to 5 PM. Every day is one more day wasted in a job that I don't love, another day I leave work ready to scream. The time has finally come for me to do something about this.

Thankfully, I have two wonderful parents who are pushing me (read as nagging the shit out of me every time I see them) to get out there and figure out what it is exactly that I 'want to be when I grow up'. Over the last few weeks I have really given this a lot of thought. Two possibilities keep coming to mind. The first is going back to school and get a Masters in Education. I have and will always love children. To me, I think it would be so rewarding to spend my day 'teaching America's youth'. I know, I sound incredibly naive and optimistic. I realize that starting as a teacher in Washington, DC I'll probably be baby-sitting tomorrow's hooligans. But, someone has to do it. And, the thought of three months off every year sounds pretty damn good right now!

What about the low pay though? Yes, salary is definitely a big consideration to me. I mean, couture clothing does not buy itself! But, I also have to take into account how much of my happiness I am sacrificing every day, just for a little more spending money. There comes a time when you have to grow up and realize that life can't always be about the next happy hour or Friday night drunk-fest.

My other thought is to go to school for a Masters in International Politics. I majored in Spanish, so it would be nice to actually put my degree to a little bit of use. One of the biggest reasons I'm considering this is that my parents offered to send me abroad again to learn a second language. Since I already studied one year of French, Paris here I come! At the same time, I'd study Arabic too because ultimately my goal will be a job with the State Department.

I know, two completely different paths staring me in the face. There is a lot that I need to consider. And, while all of this is going on I'm still trying to find a new job. Too much for a Friday morning!! Ok, enough for now. I can't overload my fans in my first posting! No worries, I'm sure over the next few months, I'll revisit this multiple times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

oh poodle...we lead such elaborate lives...love you

10:45 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Love it! How did you get all that out at 730 in the morning? I was no where near functional at that hour.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh wait, it's set to west coast time...never mind

10:58 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

what to say.....I encourage you to use this as a way to say the things that can not be said aloud sometimes, but most of all use it to "Mean Girl" others....

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home