Thursday, May 26, 2005

things just ain't the same

The other night I was blessedly home alone, doing laundry and watching MPT. I started by watching "American Perspective: Patty Hearst". What a fascinating story that is. Did she really have Stockholm syndrome, or was the bitch just crazy? After that, I watched a two hour special on Galileo. Right now I am reading a biography about him that focuses on not only his amazing philosophical, astrological and mathematical advances, but also his relationship with his eldest daughter.

Wow. What an exciting life right? Well, as I was folding my whites, I really started thinking about Galileo and how amazing his life was and what an impact he had on the world around him. I wonder if there are people like that today, who have made such an impact on the world that five hundred years from now people will still learn about them. Or, has this 'digital age' erased the creativity and drive that existed back in the 16th century.

Sure, if I didn't have TiVo, digital cable, an mp3 player, the internet, I'd probably discover a lot more about the world around me. It really made me feel guilty then for sitting in front of the TV all night, when I could have been out discovering some new star or something. Then I started thinking that maybe we are running out of things to 'discover'. Who knows.

All I do know is that I really would not be able to survive without music. Sure, I love TV. I love all of it, the drama, the ridiculous and the trashy. But, I could learn to live without it. I'd read a lot more, probably go outside more often and enjoy the museums, parks, and bars (let's be honest, it is me we are talking about) that DC has to offer.

There is no way in hell I can survive a day without music though. It really affects me in ways that I can't even begin to describe. Just ask my girls, I will nearly wet myself with excitement if they start playing a Janet song in the bar/club. I think I've heard "If" a million times, yet hearing it is like the first time all over for me. Only it isn't just Janet that does this to me. A life without music is to me the worst form of hell on earth. That said, if anyone ever tries to steal my mp3 player, they are going to be in for the fight of their life!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

you really out-gayed yourself this time!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

TELL'EM GIRLFRIEND.......

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home