Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Confessions

Last week, I met a guy. We will leave the how/where/when to another place and time. So I met Travis and we exchanged phone numbers. Having played this game a million times before, I had no expectations nor hopes about this being anything other than getting a phone number. Low and behold though, Travis called me the next day to get together. I was pleasantly surprised.

I called him back and setup a date for Saturday evening. We made no specific plans, but I had a couple ideas in mind for something that wasn't the typical dinner/drinks/movie type date. Saturday afternoon I called to reaffirm our plans and he told me that he had something planned for later that night, but that he wanted to see me that afternoon. I agreed, and soon was on metro to Rockville. Oh yes, I metro-ed out to MD to see this boy.

His roommate Stephanie and her friend came along with him to pick me up at metro. It was in the car that I had the biggest shock of the weekend. We were all having a very casual conversation when Stephanie mentioned that she hasn't seen any movies in the last year because she was away. I, being the curious bitch I am, asked where she was. Stephanie responds that she was in rehab. At this point, Travis turns to me and says that he and Stephanie met in rehab. All of this conversation was carried on as if they were explaining to me that the sky is blue.

Stunned doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. I'm sure my face must have been priceless. I tried my best to recover and just go along with the flow. I think it is great that they both recognize they have problems and were doing something about it, I just didn't expect for that, nor for someone to be so nonchalant about the whole thing.

Now I have found myself in a position that I have never been in before. Do I continue to even talk to this guy or do I just write him off and leave it? On the one hand, it isn't fair to stop talking to someone just because they fucked up in their past. Who hasn't fucked up and done things they wish they hadn't? Then again, this is more than just a "damn, I can't believe I slept with THAT" type of past situation. This is something that he is going to basically spend the rest of his life confronting and battling.

I guess that right now it is simply too early for me to make that kind of decision. I probably will get together with him again. Who knows, he could have a sixth toe that I don't know about and have to send him packing anyway. Or, he could be someone really amazing and worth getting to know better. At least he was honest and up-front from the start. God, imagine finding all this out a month or two after dating!

1 Comments:

Blogger kob said...

Great post -- I don't have any advice, but the story was very well told.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home