Wednesday, September 14, 2005

two of a kind, working on a full house

Nick and I are still waiting on the edge of our seats for word on an apartment. Right now I feel completely unsettled. I haven't even started packing or anything, but I just feel like my life is changing, even though nothing really has changed. Yet. Part of the problem is that mentally I have already moved out of the apartment with Alex. I am beyond the point of even being able to tolerate living with him anymore. Even the tiniest little things are enough to set me off now. I just need to know one way or another if this place is going to be ours.

Then the real fun begins. I loathe packing, but I love unpacking, cleaning and organizing. I can't wait to get into a new place and decide where everything is going to go. I am one of those anal people who needs for the regular spoons, tea spoons and soup spoons to all be separated. God help you if you get them mixed up in the drawer!! hehe. OK, I am not THAT bad that I would blow up over something that little, but I will definitely come along and put them back "where they belong". Stupid things like that make me feel more at ease at home. OCD??? Probably. What can you do???

Last night Nick and I watched the movie, Crash. It was a great movie, one of those that makes you uncomfortable and keeps building up all this tension. Nick made a great point about how the movie took place in LA, but it could have easily been any city in the US. It really made me consider myself and my own racial prejudices.

Even though I grew up in a farm community with only about 10 minorities in a school of 2000, I never thought of myself as racist. I know that I have some prejudices, all of do to some degree, I think my parents did a phenomenal job raising three kids who are completely comfortable with people of all races, religions and any other differences. All three of us have "dated" (we will use that as a blanket term for this discussion) black men. If you saw where I grew up, you would see this as more of a miracle than as something normal in this day and age.

I am thankful for all of the things that my parents have done for me, but raising me to be an open-minded individual ranks high on that list. If I weren't so open-minded, I can't even imagine how many different people I'd have missed the opportunity to "date"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home